"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Bass Strings

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Bass Strings

Displaying 8 posts
Displaying 8 posts
Jul 30, 2010 7:25 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help regarding Bass strings.

I jam with an Ibanez BTB200 bass and use a Peavey Max 112 amp with a DigiTech BP80 processor. I've been trying to get a good heavy sound while using a pick. A good bass sound. String wise, I currently use D'Addario XL Nickel Round Wound strings. I am thinking about getting a different set of strings because I am not getting the sound I want. I've tampered with just about everything.

I was told to try Dean Markley Blue Steels. Do you any of you have any experiance with Dean Markley Blue Steels?

(This post was last edited on July 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM ET.)

Aug 1, 2010 5:38 AM ET #2 (permalink)

I don't have much experience with Bass strings, but at least Blue Steel guitar strings sound pretty "sharp", plus they're Dean Markley quality, so should be a win-win. I think Rex Brown and the guy in Alice In Chains (Mike whatever ;) uses them.
On guitar (where the 3 thickest strings are of course "wound"), I have gone from D'addarios through all the Ernie Balls, SITs, Dean Markleys etc etc to GHS Boomers, which were great (Flea of RHCPs uses those) to DRs and now just about a year ago to Elixirs (Love em!), which John Paul Jones of Zeppelin uses.

Really depends what you're looking for. Keep in mind that what type of pick you use has also a major effect on your sound.

Aug 1, 2010 6:44 PM ET #3 (permalink)

In my experience, gauge has actually had more effect in tone than brand, and pick size, as Wolf said. Really though, strings still might not solve your problem when it comes to seeking a big, heavy bass tone. I'm not trying to be a dick at all, but you really might need to look into a better amp, and I understand that's a much bigger investment. Hell, maybe you just need to fiddle around with your EQ settings, and that's free lol... I dunno, I'm not an expert on good bass tone, I'm just trying to offer a little of what I've gathered in my seven years of serious guitar playing.

Aug 1, 2010 7:06 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Wolf - I play with Elixirs as well.
Best guitar strings I think.
D'Addario now have a simlar string to Elixiers , where they are coated with that protection shit. So they don't rust.
Still not as good as Elixirs tho.

Not to sure about Bass Strings man. But my mate uses DR bass strings.
Costs him a shit load of money , but he think they are awesome.

(This post was last edited on August 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM ET.)

Aug 3, 2010 12:41 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I've gone through several packs of picks from several different companies. Last pack I bought were rubber picks made by Wedgie. Those were an absolute waste, although they give me a great sound, the picks stick to my string.

Gonna be a long search.

Aug 3, 2010 1:29 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Hollow - Did you end up finding some strings that you like?

Aug 3, 2010 12:07 PM ET #7 (permalink)

The Elixirs are top-notch, best I've ever played.

Aug 19, 2010 4:16 PM ET #8 (permalink)

my best advice, make a banded EQ look like a smiley face. In any case, reduce the mid frequencies. This will tend to produce the best result when mixed into a band setting. Strings, in my opinion, will have the least impact on your sound when compared to your actual bass, the pick-ups, the amp, the EQ, and if you must... the processing. The exception is when the strings are dead and they just such. I always find even the dead strings usually snap back and give you another great week of sound if you wind them into a circle (twist tie em) and boil them in water for 5 minutes.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum