"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

vans warped tour review

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> vans warped tour review

Displaying 22 posts
Displaying 22 posts
Jul 26, 2010 11:28 AM ET #1 (permalink)

for those of u who don't have me on facebook alrdy, i got a mohawk this weekend and went this past saturday to vans warped tour in west palm beach, fl at the cruzan amphitheatre and here's my take on it. note: i like some alt punk and post-hardcore stuff and i HATE that screamo/metalcore/deathcore shit, so don't expect anything said about attack attack, bring me the horizon, suicide silence or the other abomination, whitechapel. so we got there late and i missed the word alive but we got there just in time for in fear and faith. we caught them in the middle of the amusing but actually quite good cover of the old school hip hop anthem, coolio's "gangster's paradise" lol while i don't like 2 singer bands with one clean vox and the other's just the screamer, they did rlly good. vry energetic. rlly important for me. loved the sing(and shout)along choruses. i was very grateful of them to end the set with the much admired "live love die". they called for a wall of death and me and my friends just joked about it calling it a "wall of happiness" lol this generation of teenies just don't know how to mosh nor even crowd surf nonetheless know how to deal with people that do. i just hated that fact that there's just WAY too many lil kids at this festival and most are being dropped off and even brought by their parents, while others are MAYBE 14-16 and alrdy with more tats than me and piercings EVERYWHERE. also some little girls were with bodies as developed as some of the women that i work with (shivers). supposedly the bands couldn't even curse while talking to the crowd (lame) kuz of these munchkins. food at the cruzan is always good but WAY overly priced ($13 just for a PLAIN cheese burger+fries+SMALL drink combo) just ask FAN. the shirts were bright, highlighter colored, covered with cute monsters, unicorns and glittery (just like how deathbringer likes it) with the occassional random behemoth, cannibal corpse or even dream theater shirt here and there. clearly those ppl didn't belong there. for me the BEST performance was the immensely entertaining, andrew w.k. tho virtually all his songs sounded nearly the same, each themed about partying in some way or another, was just awesome nonetheless and his wife (cherie lily) was dancing around full of probably coke induced energy and she was quite steamy too. he invited a guy dressed in a banana suit who was literally 5 feet away from me on stage with him (bitch) and was gifted an andrew w.k. air freshener (lmao) by andrew w.k. himself, stating how he always wanted an air freshener after him since he was little and how much it "smelled like a party". then my fav moment of the day was when a guy on a scooter was forcably broughten up and crowd surfed (ROFL!!!). then perfectly ended his set with the widely popular "party hard". i actually wanted to catch the alt punk band, alkaline trio (for my second time) but was rlly disappointed at their quite boring performance and unfamiliar setlist with the exception of 2 not-so-good songs. we were pretty bored sitting, waiting and watching the generic and vry average metalcore outfit, haste the day. some movement but nothing to get rowdy about. even the girl fronted paramore'ish versaemerge got more action with the singer sporting some cute short shorts that even i couldn't look away, making me regret missing the adorably cute female singer of hey monday who played while andrew w.k. was but fuggit, he rocked!! then was the surprise of the day, the big damn band (LMFAO) they were a rural blues band with nothing but a chubby one-beat-playing drummer, a fat and big bearded singer/banjo player with overalls and a rlly fat lady "playing" (??) a washboard (that's right). with songs like "momma's fried potatoes", the crowd mixed with teenies and punk rockers awaiting pennywise and sum41, along with me and my friends were all confused. then, pennywise. i definitely gotta check out some more shit from these guys kuz they were possibly the next most anticipated band there besides sum41 and the MOST energetic next to andrew w.k. but with a all 'round blowout of a performance. with their shoutout-and-sing-along songs and almost hardcore punk style practically coverted me into a fan. ending their set with the fan fav anthem, "bro hymn". simply lifechanging. finally sum41, despite the poor quality of the equipment and bad sound system, came out and performed just so astonishingly amazing that even i was jumping. lemme tell u, those canadians were some of the most pale mother fuckers i've ever seen but u can also tell they were giving it their all, with their itty bitty canadian hearts. their little 2-min. metal tribute with "master of puppets" gave the act a little bit of everything from punk, pop and a lil sample of metal. i have to admit i felt bad for missing half of ska punk band, reel big fish, for sum41 but well worth it. that being said, reel big fish was probably the most impressive. not being a fan of punk at all, besides liking a few alt punk bands, reel big fish was extremely amusing stating the end of their performance after each song then coming back announcing "ok, but just ONE more song just 'cause we like u." lmao their comedic presence with their funny looking almost flamboyant fashion was just the epidemy of a good show. and their funny but actually quite good songs makes u just wanna have a good time. then to end the evening, for us at least, the girls (my gf, my sis and a friend) wanted to catch the teen girlie adored pop punk band, we the kings. for cute girlie music, they were quite good. they rlly got the crowd hyped up and balls out crazy, surprisedly, and even more with their jimmy eat world cover of "the middle". then after, we went to a much needed, but mostly wanted, food stop at the beloved sonic on our way back down home. awesome.

Jul 26, 2010 8:28 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Geezus fuck dude, PARAGRAPHS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!!!

Other than that alright review, you missed the Casualties though, shitty for you man you missed out

(This post was last edited on July 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM ET.)

Jul 27, 2010 12:04 PM ET #3 (permalink)

lmfao!!! i just let my fingers do the talking man. i heard that they did awesome, but as i said, i don't like punk much. what i rlly HATED that i didn't get to see kuz they were on warped tour this yr but just NOT for my date... Dropkick =(

Aug 16, 2010 1:01 PM ET #4 (permalink)

RTB

These forums are pretty cool,Wilco with futbol, bg with hockey and show reviews by VPNH, F@Ck ya!, definitely a future position on the MU staff bare minimum, vp, enjoyed the review....out of all the shows I've gone to I've never been to a warp tour, I've wanted to in the past but it never happened so thanks for that and keep on sending reviews in...
SM, lol but there are no rules in Metal, chuck out the grammar police and keep letting it fly VP....

Aug 17, 2010 8:36 AM ET #5 (permalink)

yeah dude lol thnx mr president. have fun with the boards man. there's a bunch!!

Aug 17, 2010 7:06 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Yeah I'm not gonna read all that. I haven't been to Warped in years...but visit Sonic almost on a daily basis. Cheers NH =)

Aug 17, 2010 11:22 PM ET #7 (permalink)

If you wanted to see energy in the pits and the crowd overall, you should've caught Parkway Drive. They're fucking amazing and the crowd always gets into it when they play.People were crowd surfing all over me it was so annoying lol.

It seems to me like you were a lot more interested in hardcore/altrenative sounding bands though, which is ok. I caught alkaline trio while waiting for the suicide silence signing and they played armageddon which is a song I really like by them. I also caught part of Sum 41 which took me back to like 5th grade cuz that was the first band I listened to, ever. Haha.

Aug 17, 2010 11:58 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Parkway Drive are always good live.

Aug 18, 2010 8:50 AM ET #9 (permalink)

LDB: hey there stranger. it's been a minute. i hate u for having sonic accessible daily. every time i go, it's like xmas morning. much love \m/

metal by #'s: yeah my taste in music is probably the broadest u'll ever hear from a "metalhead" lol i hate deathcore and i don't like that generic metalcore. i've seen parkway live before at a killswitch engage show, and they were pretty good live and they did get the crowd moving but they're just not for me. the highlight for me for warped tour was andrew w.k. hands down lol he was awesome and reel big fish were amazing live too.

Aug 18, 2010 8:56 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Oh yeah lol well I have a pretty broad taste for a metalhead as well lol I get a lot of shit from "true" (lmao?) metalheads for listening to death/metal/hard/core music.

But that just means I'm open minded lol I like punk, ska, metal(just using it broadly because there are so many damn catagories :/ ), rock (using it broadly, again), I don't really like screamo but there's a couple bands I can deal with in that genre, I like alternative and some Indy bands, techno, trance, rap, etc. I listen to everything, lol.

ONE THING I CAN'T STAND and will never be able to appreciate is that Waking the Cadaver/We came with broken Teeth cybergrind BULLSHIT LOL i hate it

Aug 18, 2010 9:03 AM ET #11 (permalink)

fo' shizzle man lol me neither. i hate and 3 beloved metalheads subgenres (especially what everyone here [MU] loves) black metal, pure (or brutal) death metal, and thrash... ::flinches awaiting to be stoned:: lol and i like alotta what u mentioned too. my profile basically sums it the best for me.

Aug 18, 2010 9:17 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Oh yeah lol my musical openmindedness puts me in line for the firing squad all the time lol. I used to love black metal. All the "true" metalheads say that core is unoriginal and repetitive, so they don't give it a chance. You'd actually find that each band has its own signature sound. I also hate the stereotype that all fans of corebands are scenesters. That's not true. I do not look like Oli Sykes from Bring me the Horizon, and I never will, lol.

I also believe strongly that a band's musical ability should not be reflected in the clothes they wear, lol.

Aug 18, 2010 9:17 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Oh yeah lol my musical openmindedness puts me in line for the firing squad all the time lol. I used to love black metal. All the "true" metalheads say that core is unoriginal and repetitive, so they don't give it a chance. You'd actually find that each band has its own signature sound. I also hate the stereotype that all fans of corebands are scenesters. That's not true. I do not look like Oli Sykes from Bring me the Horizon, and I never will, lol.

I also believe strongly that a band's musical ability should not be reflected in the clothes they wear, lol.

Aug 19, 2010 10:33 AM ET #14 (permalink)

exactly what i believe. i probably don't even look like a "metalhead" if at all. i hate converse shoes (i wear vans mostly), i don't like black pants (i'm usually in jeans or *dun-dun dun* plaid short >;.>;), but i DO wear ALOTTA band shirts and superhero shirts (but NOT ALL are black) and usually they're under my long-sleeve button-up shirts kuz of work but they're out and about after work and on the weekends lol i do like alotta core stuff but that's just kuz apparently some bands that i like (lamb of god, shadows fall, all that remains, trivium, bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage, atreyu, august burns red, darkest hour etc.) are considered core =\ but then i don't like that generic metalcore sounding stuff like haste the day, chimaira, parkway drive, etc. but i mostly LOVE melodic death metal (in flames, dark tranquillity, insomnium, amon amarth, etc.)

Aug 19, 2010 7:05 PM ET #15 (permalink)

I wear gym shorts and band t's lol I'm a drummer. I own one pair of skinny jeans that I cut into shorts haha

Aug 20, 2010 9:06 AM ET #16 (permalink)

kickass lol i wouldn't consider myself a drummer too kuz i do drum and own a drumset, but i just don't drum that too often. i've been "drumming" maybe on and off again for about 5 yr.'s or so now, but i'm still only as good as someone who's been drumming for 1 =\

Oct 19, 2010 12:06 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Got a question for ya n0thinghead. Something I find interesting, you've said yourself that you're not much of a fan of punk-rock yet you found a need, for whatever reason, to give yourself mo-hawk prior the attending the warped tour, which for has always traditionally been a punk-rock oriented festival tour. I'm well aware that the warped is slowley becoming less of a punk rock festival and more of a "whatever the fuck is popular these days" festival which is why I found it interesting that a non-punk rocker such as yourself gave yourself a mo-hawk and then headed there.

Oct 21, 2010 9:45 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Some of the metal dudes here in my town are fucking crybaby sooks, so they're emo hahahahaha.

Oct 24, 2010 10:17 PM ET #19 (permalink)

nvr rlly asked a question spagmo lol but enough deucin' aorund, i've just always wanted to do a mohawk like that but i can nvr do one kuz of my job, nor can i ever get piercings or revealing tats (that's why my inks are hidden). so i told my gf, u know, i'm gonna do a mohawk for warped tour. it just so happened to be the appropriate time kuz it was (a) summer, (b) hot as hell (even for miami), (c) a festival (and not just a small venue show). tho i do getcha with the conflicting ideals of me saying that i'm NOT a big punk rock fan and yet i like rise against, alkaline trio, offspring, dropkick murphys, reel big fish, etc. it's just that i love this that just stick out, even in genres that i don't like much.

Oct 25, 2010 12:11 AM ET #20 (permalink)

gotcha

Oct 27, 2010 10:51 PM ET #21 (permalink)

wrong thread

Dec 16, 2010 11:43 AM ET #22 (permalink)

most of warped tour's shit sucks, bad

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum