"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Reporting System and/or Moderators

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> Reporting System and/or Moderators

Displaying 17 posts
Displaying 17 posts
Jul 29, 2009 5:53 PM ET #1 (permalink)

In light of current retardation displayed by some MU members, I've decided to contribute some feedback.

I'd like for a reporting and/or moderator system to be established. You know when you go to a forum and it has a "report this post" button or something of a similar nature? That'd be nice, especially if there's a placeholder than allows you to explain your reasoning behind the report. A moderation system would be pretty sweet, too. I don't care if I'd be a moderator (though I'd gladly take that role if offered), but you know, maybe making some of our staff as moderators would be cool. Best recommendations for that off the top of my head would be Diamond Oz, Cynic, and xFiruath for their maturity and how established they are here. So yea, I hope my recommendations are taken seriously.

Jul 29, 2009 7:01 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Not sure if I agree with that IN. All of the other sites i've ever seen that use the "report feature" end up having people report other users anytime they get their feelings hurt or they disagree with what someone else said. It kind of creates a tattle tale environment that ends up serving no purpose at all.

Jul 29, 2009 9:46 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I like the karma system. or at least a system that requires more people to 'hate' you for a real reason for it to negatively effect you

Jul 29, 2009 10:10 PM ET #4 (permalink)

As long as things like double or pointless/useless posts/threads can be deleted, and it seems like Deathbringer is on top of that, I'm fine.

Jul 30, 2009 1:05 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I'm going 2 have 2 agree with Blindgreed on this for sure.
So true about other forums.

Nothing like turning a forum into a sniveling fuckin
snitch fest.

Jul 30, 2009 5:23 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I watch Batman cartoons and pro wrestling and I'm mature? The world is a strange place eh? Thanks though!

Jul 30, 2009 6:40 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Branded needs work. Why don't we make him the moderator?

Jul 31, 2009 12:50 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Just to chime in, I agree that something like this needs to be put into place for both abuse and spam, but it does have to be well thought out and also easily implemented and managed. So I'll give it some thought. It could start out simple and grow from there, but I don't envision creating some massive points system. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2009 11:43 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Good to hear DB - you know what I like about MU? It's simple, quick and easy. If there's anything that sites like Facebook and Google show us over MySpace and Yahoo it's that people like this sort of design.

Aug 1, 2009 12:05 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I've got a feeling that that would be abused as well. But hey, that's just me.

Besides, I think deathbringer does just fine in this area. He steps in when things get too out of hand, and that's really all we need. Though it really shouldn't get to that point in the first place....

Aug 2, 2009 10:04 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Hey Cynic. You obviously "get it" and will be a great programmer one day :-) Lots of programmers overcomplicate stuff. As much as I like making up rules and algorithms, simple and transparent is often best.

Sep 1, 2009 10:10 AM ET #12 (permalink)

at home i can not open mu
on my machine
dont know what up with it
it tells me i have to contact the webmaster

dudes help me

Oct 23, 2009 4:28 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I've noticed an interesting feature at my "Eagles" website. They have a % warnings viewable for each user (next to their username) which easily identiifes trolls (and Cowboy's fans lol). Might not be a bad idea if it's not too much hassle to implement here.

Oct 23, 2009 6:23 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Wilco - man, I don't know what to say, Spiderman's on vacation. Guess you're on your own :P

Blind's thing could work, though to be honest the whole "reporting" people thing (other than spammers, obviously) just seems kinda childish to me.

Nov 5, 2009 2:14 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Psythe: It's not a reporting structure. That's why I like it. It just shows a % of times the mod has sent a warning to them for breaking the rules. It's almost like a twat filter. lol. You know who to ignore.

Nov 5, 2009 5:10 PM ET #16 (permalink)

i think for the most part this site is great just the way it is. lets not get childish.

Nov 6, 2009 12:08 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Blind - That sounds delicious. Could work even better with an implimented immediate banhammer when mod warnings reach a certain percentage, no? Fuck the middleman, he's getting in the way of progress lol.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum