Band Photo: Black Sabbath (?)
From: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Last Known Status: Active
Latest Black Sabbath News
Below is our complete Black Sabbath news coverage, including columns and articles pertaining to the band. Some articles listed may be indirectly related, such as side projects of the band members, etc.
Note: We began associating news directly with bands in late 2003. Therefore, earlier band news may not be listed on this page.
I received an interesting email from a reader (Jonny) who attended the San Bernardino Ozzfest:
"I went to OZZFEST 2005 san bernardino last night and things got pretty crazy. Sharon osbourne had people throwing eggs at bruce dickenson and messing with Iron Maiden's equipment during Maiden's set. Bruce said "I'm going to rip your fucking eyes out if I see who's doing that" "This is fuckin' Maiden Fest" Almost every song was plagued by her mischeif, such as Bruce's vocals being cut off and being replaced by an annoying OZZY OZZY OZZY chant. Bruce was livid. He said america stands for "we the people" and the people were the only reason he didn't leave.
There were other subtle signs of the "shit hitting the fan"
Sharon then cut them short and you could hear the sounds of a fight backstage. Sharon then goes on the Big Screen and calls Bruce a "Prick". Next ozzy comes on and gives the worst perfomance ever. Please find some more people who were there to corroborate my account."
This seems to be well corroborated by a lengthy post and more emails Blabbermouth.net received as well as the fact that two photos of IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson have apparently been removed from the official Ozzfest web site, Ozzfest.com — presumably because the Ozzfest organizers believe that Dickinson has "disrespected" the festival (based on comments made by Sharon Osbourne during last night's Ozzfest in San Bernardino, California). View the IRON MAIDEN photo page (containing pictures taken earlier in the tour) at Ozzfest.com. The photos that are believed to have been removed from the page can be seen on the Ozzfest.com server, but are no longer part of the former page: Photo#1, Photo#2 More...
BLACK SABBATH frontman Ozzy Osbourne announced earlier in the week that he is searching for a guitar player to collaborate with on his next solo album.
Even though he's made records with guitar legends including Tony Iommi, the late Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, and Zakk Wylde, Osbourne told Launch Radio Networks that he doesn't go looking for the flashiest player he can find. "When I audition guitar players, I go, 'I don't want to know how fast you can play, I don't want to know if you can stand on your head and play it through your butt, or whatever — just give me a riff that'll make a kid want to go out and buy a guitar,'" Ozzy said. "Simple, but effective — how (much) more simple can you get than (the KINKS song) 'You Really Got Me'? Just go (sings opening guitar part)."
No time frame has been announced for Osbourne to make a new album, and there's conflicting information about when it might happen. An official statement says that Osbourne and his wife and manager Sharon are either planning a BLACK SABBATH tour of Canada for early 2006, while the British tabloid The Sun quotes Sharon as saying the couple is getting ready for a two-year break from the music business, during which they'll spend some time in New Zealand.
Ozzy Osbourne's wife/manager Sharon Osbourne confirmed in an interview with The Arizona Republic Friday (August 12) that this year's Ozzfest will be the last time Ozzy performs with the traveling festival.
"We're changing the format of the festival next year, and Ozzy will be going into arenas for a while. Because this outside business is just knocking the (expletive) out of him in the summer," she said.
On this year's Ozzfest tour, Osbourne has been plagued by health problems, causing him to cancel some appearances. On Thursday (August 11), he halted a song midway when his voice cracked.
"He's been having a lot of voice problems," Sharon Osbourne said. "Unfortunately for Ozzy, he suffers a lot from hay fever, and when we're on tour everything is outside. When the pollen count is high, he's just wiped out. And there's only so many things he can take for it.
"But he's struggling on."
Despite Osbourne's absence in future tours, his wife said Ozzfest will continue.
"We've proved the festival is solid as a rock, just other people will headline. And Ozzy will continue, but it is time for Ozzy to move on."
It's been rumored for months that this summer's Ozzfest would be its namesake's last — and on Friday, Ozzy Osbourne announced that he is retiring as the headliner of the annual heavy metal festival. However, the singer is expected to finish this summer's tour and plans to make occasional appearances at future Ozzfests.
"After 10 years, the Ozzfest's name and reputation have been established," he said in a statement. "It's time for me to move on and do other things." His publicist noted in a statement, "Ozzfest will carry on in 2006, however Ozzy will limit his performances to only a few, select cities."
Ozzy, who's been performing with Black Sabbath this summer as the tour's headliner, has been dogged by throat problems, which have forced the band to drop off of the bill on several recent dates, with Black Sabbath cancelling three Ozzfest appearances so far this year (July 27 in Holmdel, New Jersey, July 31 in Noblesville, Indiana and August 2 in Columbus, Ohio).
No official explanation has been given for Ozzy's throat problems, and it is unknown how severe they may be.
Read the full article at MTV.com.
Ernest A. Jasmin of The News Tribune reviewed this year's Ozzfest when it hit the White River Amphitheatre in Auburn, Washington on Thursday (August 11). An excerpt from his review follows:
"For the second year in a row, the concert’s namesake, Ozzy Osbourne, was joined by BLACK SABBATH band mates Geezer Butler (bass), Tony Iommi (guitar) and Bill Ward (drums). And Ozzfest nearly lost its namesake again, two years after Osbourne called in sick to the tour's local stop in 2003.
"All seemed to be going well early on as SABBATH kicked off with 'N.I.B.', 'After Forever' and proto-metal classic 'War Pigs'. Then things went wrong when the band tackled 'Dirty Women'.
"Osbourne's voice cracked hideously during that number, and he responded by slamming his mike down and storming off stage.
"The rest of SABBATH remained cool and professional, continuing to jam until Ozzy could pull it together and return. The singer forced a grin that looked more like grimace as he lead the crowd in waving their hands side to side.
"He explained himself once the number had ended. 'My voice is … blown out again,' he said, promising to go on if the crowd wanted to hear him.
"But this was Ozzy, after all — metal's patron saint. And while hundreds could be seen headed for the parking lot, most in the crowd remained faithful and even turned their cheers up a notch.
"'Iron Man' and 'Black Sabbath' were set highlights, as fans sang exuberantly along with the former and Ozzy's maniacal expression was captured by the giant movie screen behind him during the latter."
Read the full article at Thenewstribune.com.
After a long 3-hour drive, mostly due to traffic, I arrived with my girl friend and good friend at PNC Arts Center. Tailgating with some people from Metal Faction Radio in the main parking lot we clearly heard the second stage acts performances.
Ozzfest organizers have been forced to cancel the Tuesday, August 16 show in Salt Lake City due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts. The show will not be rescheduled and refunds are available at point of purchase.
The OZZFEST 2005 date set for Sunday, August 14 in Marysville, CA at the Sleep Train Amphitheater has been moved to Monday, August 15. It's stated that due to Doctors orders that OZZY OSBOURNE can't do shows back to back (day after day) due to his health. It is expected that IRON MAIDEN will handle all headlining duties if BLACK SABBATH doesn't perform, and as usual, tickets are available for a full refund at point of purchase, or at the venue.
Ozzfest's official web site, Ozzfest.com, has been updated with the following message:
"Ozzfest organizers have been forced to postpone only this Sunday's (August 7) show in Somerset, WI. Contrary to published reports that Osbourne is sick, the show is being rescheduled under doctors' advisement that he not perform consecutive shows. Osbourne performed a sold-out show [Thursday] night [August 4] in Detroit with BLACK SABBATH and will take the stage again on Saturday at the Alpine Valley Music Theatre. Ticketholders for Sunday's show should hold onto their tickets, as they will be honored for the rescheduled September 10 date."
According to ContactMusic.com, a galaxy of stars — including Sir Elton John, Simon Cowell and Billy Connolly — are teaming up for a TV tribute to Ozzy Osbourne. The BLACK SABBATH singer will be joined by his famous family on the show, which will feature details of his near-fatal quad bike accident, and stories about his notorious alcohol and drug abuse.
And the program will feature such outrageous footage, TV executives have are making preparations to ensure it is shown late at night.
An insider says, "Ozzy's had one of the most outrageous lives and this is warts and all.
"It's definitely going to have to go out after 9:00 p.m."
The currently untitled program will air on Britain's ITV network later this year.
Launch Radio Networks reports: BLACK SABBATH returned to Ozzfest yesterday (Thursday, August 4) after missing several dates due to an ailing Ozzy Osbourne. The group did their full headlining set at the DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston, Michigan, with Osbourne warning the crowd early on, "If my voice breaks up from time to time, it's not my fault. I'm sick, as you know, but I told the doctor to go f**k himself. I'm doing the best I can, babes." BLACK SABBATH missed shows in Holmdel, New Jersey, on July 27; Noblesville, Indiana, on Sunday (July 31); and Columbus, Ohio, on Tuesday (August 2).
Osbourne's voice was noticeably rough yesterday, though he was in otherwise energetic form, mooning the audience at the start of the show, tossing a bucket of water on the front rows later on, and jumping around throughout.
Specific details about Osbourne's ailment have not been revealed, but sources told Launch it's primarily a throat problem.
Ozzfest continues tomorrow (Saturday, August 6) in East Troy, Wisconsin. However, Sunday's (August 7) show in Somerset, Wisconsin, has already been rescheduled to September 10, to give Osbourne a day off to rest his voice.
I attended Ozzfest 2005 this year on one of the most disgustingly hot and humid days of the year. It was July 19th, at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ. The day was amazing and full of great bands and other then the ferocious heat it was a great day. More...
According to the official web site of the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville, Indiana, BLACK SABBATH will **NOT** be performing at today's Ozzfest stop at the venue "due to an illness in the band." However, the remainder of the show will go on as planned and IRON MAIDEN will headline and will play a "complete" set.
If you choose to not attend the show, tickets can be refunded at your original point of purchase beginning Monday (August 1). Show attendance waives your choice for a refund.
This is the second SABBATH cancellation in five days following the band's no-show in Holmdel, New Jersey Wednesday night (July 27). That appearance was reportedly cancelled after SABBATH frontman Ozzy Osbourne — who recently revealed to fans that he was battling a cold — became "too sick" to take to the stage.
BLACK SABBATH performed a headlining set Saturday night (July 30) at the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park, Illinois.
The 10th annual edition of Ozzfest runs through September 4 in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Megadeth leader Dave Mustaine, with his Gigantour up and running, says he doesn't want the festival to be compared with established tours such as Ozzfest and the Warped Tour.
Dave Mustaine told Launch Radio Networks he knows comparisons are inevitable, but he isn't encouraging them. "There are some other festivals that are out in similar nature," he said. "You know, Ozzfest has some bands from our genre and some of the subcultures and subgenres and stuff, but you know, my intention was never to be disrespectful to Ozzy or to Sharon (Osbourne) or to try to say 'Hey, Gigantour's better,' because, you know frankly, they're my friends. I would like to keep it that way."
In addition to Megadeth, Gigantour's line-up includes Dream Theater, Fear Factory, Life Of Agony, Nevermore, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Symphony X and Bobaflex.
Launch Radio Networks reports: Ozzy Osbourne should be ready for BLACK SABBATH's headlining set at Ozzfest tomorrow (July 30) at Tweeter Center in Tinley Park, Illinois. Osbourne was sick earlier this week and BLACK SABBATH cancelled their Ozzfest appearance in Holmdel, New Jersey, on Wednesday (July 27), which meant IRON MAIDEN got to do an extra-long set. A spokesperson told Launch that Osbourne is expected to play tomorrow at the Tweeter Center. The nature of Osbourne's illness hasn't been announced.
Osbourne told Launch that touring is a lot harder on him today than it used to be. "As we get older, we get more work," he said. "In the old days, you'd do, like, a three-week tour, and take six months off, you know? It was a luxury. Now, it's like a job."
The 10th annual edition of Ozzfest runs through September 4 in West Palm Beach, Florida.
IRON MAIDEN took over as the mainstage headliners at the Ozzfest bill for Wednesday night's (July 27) show in Holmdel, New Jersey after Ozzy Osbourne was apparently taken ill, forcing BLACK SABBATH to drop off the show. On Sunday, july 24's show, Ozzy commented that he was told to rest that night due to a chest cold. MAIDEN's extended setlist for last night's performance was a follows:
01. Ides of March
02. Murders in the Rue Morgue
03. Another Life
04. The Trooper
08. Run to the Hills
09. Phantom of the Opera
10. Number of the Beast
11. Hallowed be thy Name
12. Iron Maiden
13. Running Free
After butchering a few verses of Black Sabbath's "Dirty Women" in tonight's Ozzfest in Bristow, VA, Ozzy revealed to the audience that he had been told to cancel his performance and rest due to a chest cold. Be reassured that most of Ozzy's lyrics and notes were just fine all night, however. I'll have a full show report posted sometime this week.
According to a posting on MAYHEM's web site, the Norwegian black metallers will most likely release a CD consisting of a few covers and re-recordings before the new studio album is out. "The covers will be SODOM, BLACK SABBATH as well as two more bands," the posting adds. "The re-recordings will be from 'Wolfs Lair Abyss' . It will also contain a track from the forthcoming album. The CD may also contain some sort of live CD-ROM track."
Regarding the new material, guitarist Blasphemer (a.k.a. Rune Erickson) said, "The new songs are tending towards a more aggressive and straight, in-your-face kinda expression. Expect 8-10 vicious and disharmonic songs of the purest of black metal. More info on when the band enters studio and which etc. later, but the album will most likely be recorded early 2006 for a late spring/early summer release. The album is still untitled."
MAYHEM's next live appearance wll take place on November 3 at the Elm St. Rock Caf? in Oslo, Norway. Following this show, MAYHEM will head over to Australia, Japan, Malaysia and Singapore. Exact cities and dates will be announced soon.
THROWDOWN's new video for "Burn" will premiere on this weekend's edition of Headbanger's Ball, airing every Saturday at 10 PM EST on MTV2. Hosting the show will be BLACK SABBATH's Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler.
Ozzy Osbourne's wife Sharon is livid with Boston Herald editorial director Ken Chandler for ignoring her ban on photographs of her husband at the Ozzfest music event, according to a report in Wednesday's Boston Globe.
The former lead singer for Black Sabbath suffers from debilitating and potentially humiliating body tremors. After the Herald published his picture last year, Sharon Osbourne called Chandler to complain. The Globe reports that Chandler hung up on her.
This year, Ozzfest publicist Shazila Mohammed told the Globe that the Herald was denied photo access but published a picture of the "Crazy Train" singer in its Saturday issue anyway.
Chandler was unavailable for comment but Herald managing editor Kevin Convey told the Globe, “No one is going to tell us what pictures we're going to put in the paper.”
He added that Clear Channel has revoked the paper's Tweeter Center summer review tickets.